Second Cape May Baptist Church
We are an Independent Baptist Church with the desire to glorify God through worship, missions, evangelism and meeting the physical and spiritual needs of the body of Christ.
Russ Bowers, PhD.
Russ Bowers pastored Second Cape from 1980–87. He and family then left for Dallas and doctoral study. In 1990 they moved to Connecticut. There Russ pastored and wrote his dissertation. That dissertation, on Buddhist-Christian dialogue, helped open the door for ministry in Cambodia between 1998–2004. There he led Training of Timothys, a Christian leadership development project. 2005 began with teaching graduate theology students in Singapore, and ended with moving to Fort Worth to teach graduate and undergraduate courses in missions, history, and world religions. In 2016 he published “Finding Home—Mile Markers Among the World Religions,” and in 2018 moved back to New Jersey with Glenna to serve Second Cape a second time. Mark, Nathan, and Kate are married with families of their own, giving Pastor Russ and Glenna seven grandchildren.
What We Believe
- God exists, and has decisively revealed himself in Jesus of Nazareth.
- Jesus is Messiah and Master. He modeled truth, died for sin, rose physically, lives forever, and will come again.
- The Protestant Bible authoritatively relates God’s mighty deeds in history, and tells us what they mean. Properly interpreted, the Bible teaches how we should live today.
- The faith that pleases God consists of entrusting one’s whole self to Christ and his word.
- The gospel is for everybody; God commands all people everywhere to repent.
- We will be judged by what we believe and do.